Oct 21, 2021

Sign of the Kiwi Cafe and Bar - New Zealand [ South Island ]



 “P.E.O.P.L.E AT THE K.I.W.I

“White flight” is the sudden or gradual large-scale migration of white people from areas becoming more racially or ethnoculturally diverse.

This is what happened when my Dad sold our house to a black family in Chattanooga East Tennessee, along the Tennessee River.
Housing prices went down and our neighbours started to move out

That was in 1955

My Dad was a true democrat. He was appointed on the school board and was in favour of integration of black kids into school.

It did creates a lot of tensions within the community.

I still remember that black people had to sit at the back of the bus and when a white person was stepping in the coloured people. Had to move further back.
Yes that’s right we didn’t call them black people at the time, we call them Coloured people.
There was 4 distinctive public toilets . White male. White female. Coloured female. Coloured male in public accomodations around Chattanooga.

The KKK was in full action at the time

Fortunately “We’ve moved beyond those dark days, but not without a tremendous amount of pain and suffering, and an ongoing fight to keep moving forward.

I met my husband after a trip to Australia in 1975. He is from Christchurch.
Big shock when I saw everybody here was into their sports on a Saturday morning.
My husband was no exception, he was playing cricket with his mates . I thought they were a bit weird these Kiwis but the biggest shock was shops closed very early and not opened 24hrs/day.

We had to go shopping to New Brighton

Facebook page July 2021

Meanwhile in Canada....


A new kind of segregation is taking place now....
unvaxxed are now shunned by our society... nothing changes and history repeats itself... oh well... 
I bake and make my own delicious treats and meals at home... no big loss but I hope that people see this all for what it is:  discrimination. Government does this to us.. and we assist by complying with them.
Have a lovely day... see you around town folks!





No comments:

Post a Comment