Oct 9, 2026

Mount Allison University on Facebook This Month.... Featuring Oliver VanBuskirk, Student of Sociology

Is there still a chapter on campus of Students for Liberty Mount Allison University.. I wonder.... ?


 More background information about Oliver VanBusKirk at LinkedIn:

Oliver VanBuskirk - Mount Allison University | LinkedIn

and here:  Audiences swept away by The Current - The Argosy

and here:

Recap of the CASA meeting from the MASU perspective - The Argosy

and here:

In May, Vice-President External Affairs Oliver VanBuskirk represented the Mount Allison Students’ Union at the Canadian Alliance of Student Associations (CASA) Foundations Conference. He connected with student leaders from across the country to discuss the current post-secondary landscape and the shared challenges facing student unions and associations. Oliver is now preparing for the upcoming CASA Political Strategy Conference this July in Calgary, where he’ll begin developing policy recommendations and preparing for CASA’s Advocacy Week in November. During Advocacy Week, he’ll travel to Ottawa to lobby local MPs on key student issues. Well done, Oliver - your commitment to student advocacy is already making a meaningful difference!"



My time with the MASU has come to an end (sort of) This past year, I had the immense honour of being elected and serving as the Vice-President, External Affairs, for the Mount Allison Students’ Union. Now that my term is over, I want to take the time to reflect on this role and how impactful it has been on my time at Mount Allison. When I was first encouraged to run for this position, I was very hesitant. The possibility of being elected meant a huge commitment on top of coursework, but with some convincing, I decided to run, which ultimately was one of the best decisions I have made during my time here. Even though it wasn’t always easy, this was one of the most deeply rewarding and empowering experiences, as it taught me a lot about myself as a leader, and pushed me far out of my comfort zone. Through this role, I managed to advocate for students on municipal, provincial, and federal levels of government, while also providing off-campus resources to students and acting as a student representative within the Tantramar community. All of these experiences honed my organization, communication and management skills, which I look forward to carrying with me in the future. That said, what I will cherish most about this role has been the memories and friendships I have gained from it. I am so grateful to everyone I had the chance to work with during my time at the MASU, I truly couldn’t have done it without you all. With all of this being said, this is just the end of my time as an executive within the MASU, as I step into the roles of Graduating Class Vice-President and Human Resources Manager this coming year. I also look forward to focusing on my research this summer through the Mount Allison University Independent Student Research Grant within the department of Sociology."


and more coverage here: Mount Allison 'dump and run' helps feed those in need this year

Photo from Facebook post below

1d 
Sociology student Oliver VanBuskirk spent the summer researching how proposed social media age restrictions in Canada could specifically affect 2SLGBTQIA+ youth.

VanBuskirk hopes the research can add nuance to conversations about online safety by considering not only the potential risks of social media, but also the role these spaces can play in young people’s lives.

“I anticipate that this research will offer a different perspective of social media and more articulately describe its issues,” he says, with the hope that future policy can support safer online spaces for youth while recognizing the connections and resources they may find there.

VanBuskirk's summer research project was made possible through a Mount Allison Independent Student Research Grant (ISRG).

“This experience has reinforced my passion for sociology. It has introduced me to the process of independent research and solidified my goal of pursuing a Master’s in Sociology.”

Full story: http://mta.ca/.../student-research-exploring-social-media...

—

Mount Allison's ISRG program provides students entering their final year with an intensive research or creative activity experience for a 14-week period from May to August."

********************
Any relation to Kelly VanBuskirk K.C., a well known Saint John NB lawyer?


More on Kelly VanBusKirk K.C. here:
THE Indie Media Eastcoast: Kelly VanBuskirk - Saint John Lawyer Hired by Tantramar in 2026
here:
THE Indie Media Eastcoast: The Saint John Region Chamber Spotlight on VanBuskirk Law - Labour Law Summit Moncton
and here:
Sackville U.N.censored : Kelly Vanbuskirk, K.C., PhD, Lawyer, "Safety Sensitive & Respectful Workplaces" - Safety Services New Brunswick

On X with Kelly VanBuskirk K.C. here:  Kelly VanBuskirk (@KvanbuskirkSJ) / X




No comments:

Post a Comment