Sep 10, 2026

Rural Area Street Lights - Discussion with Town Councillor Ward 4 Kristen Leblanc [Facebook]

Found here:  Facebook [sometimes I can view Facebook but I am not allowed to have an account, for like years, FYI, but I do like to see what the rural folks are saying .. I don't want them ignored at all] 

Curiosity Question for Constituents

While driving along Route 940 North this evening, I noticed that once you leave Ward 4, there are streetlights installed along portions of the road. The fixtures appear to be directed downward toward the roadway, which helps limit light pollution.

It got me wondering about public opinion on rural streetlighting. Some people feel that lighting at dangerous turns and intersections improves visibility and safety for motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians.

Others prefer to preserve darker skies and the rural character of the area.

What's your perspective?

Would you support streetlights at high-risk intersections and sharp curves along Route 940, or do you feel these areas are better left unlit?

This isn't a proposal or formal survey- just a curiosity question to hear what residents think. 💭

I look forward to reading your thoughts and experiences.

Thank you!"

"Pam Novak

Nope. We don't need more light pollution. In the 31 years I have been here, I have noticed such an increase in glowing skies from the nearby towns. It is not safe for wildlife, and a waste of generated energy. The dark skies of rural life should be treasured. (See The Dark Sky Initiative.) Folks out here don't know how lucky we are. We have spectular night skies complete with the Milky Way and Aurora Borealis viewing. During bad weather, road lighting at night can create glare and distoration. Put our tax dollars into the seasonal reflective markers on both sides of the roads (they have guided me through the worst of winter storms through Rt. 940, but there was a noticeable decrease of them this past winter), have better and safer road markings and conditions, clear the growth back from the edges of the road that is getting notoriously longer and invasive onto the road, and reflective signs at dangerous curves and intersections. Introduce public campaigns to remind folks to slow down at night and bad weather, watch for wildlife (especially in high wildlife corridor areas,) maintain your car headlights, and don't throw your trash out the friggin windows of your car - which all increase domestic and wild animals coming closer onto the roads."

"Dawn Troop
I feel that a few streetlights at dangerous areas would be amazing, I work nightshift and coming home on a moonless night it's VERY black....I would feel much safer with 'a few' streetlights along the 940"

"Shelly Haley
I think street lights would be great in some areas. I know this was discussed before about them in areas and I think that one at Forks rd and route 940 would be good as wildlife crosses there"

"Jacky Price
I'm opposed, I want to preserve as much rural living as possible. No streetlights, no sidewalks please, we've gotten this many years without them."

"Andy Mills
Don't need them and don't want them. It would be just another excuse to raise taxes and for nb power to increase rates."

No comments:

Post a Comment